File it under T, for Tacky
Monday, June 28, 2004
I don't understand gaudy jewelry. I saw a woman on the eL this morning, sporting the most hideous piece of jewelry that I have ever seen. I'm not an expert, but I know the difference between fashionably chunky, loose-stoned jewelry, and a hunk of turquoise bigger than a 16" softball hanging on a silver chain that would make Mr. T jealous. I do not claim to be a fashionista, hell, I don't even know when fashion week is. I know it's in New York, which is a loud, dirty city whose inhabitants, for the most part, do not meet the Midwestern standard of politeness to which I am accustomed. A few great museums, a big park, and Donald Trump do not a cultural mecca make. But I digress. Back to jewelry.

Isn't the point of having an accessory, such as jewelry, to enhance an outfit and not distract the observant? Why would anyone put something the size of a hubcap around their neck and expect it to quietly compliment their outfit? Even the great Stevie Nicks, despite her misguided love of lace, scarves, and guinevere sleeves, knew when to call it quits with the jewelry.

For that matter, what's up with the gi-normous rings that I have been seeing people wear these days? It's one thing to represent with a huge, iced-out cocktail ring, If that's one of the few pieces of jewelry you are wearing. But it's entirely another matter to put two rings on one finger, simply to leave another finger free for more jewelry.

When do we draw the line? When is enough, enough?