Filling the Silence
Friday, August 27, 2004
At what cost do we regard the discretion of the physicians of America? I went to the doctor yesterday, and realized something very strange. My doctor either knows sign language, is selectively mute, or is SO COMPLETELY DISCREET that I can't hear a damn word the man is saying. Are medical professionals trained to be so reserved, now, that they can't even laugh at a joke? Perhaps he was communicating to his nurse by using a complicated series of eye blinks, ear wiggles, and nostril flares that one learns during their first rotation of med school.

It was incredibly unnerving. Am I the only one with a doctor's office that is quieter than a tomb? I understand that doctors can't really crack jokes about your health, but if you attempt a one-liner to lessen the tension, you'd think they would at least attempt a half-hearted laugh to appease you. Is there some clause in the Hippocratic Oath that prevents these brilliant people from having personalities? I don't think the doctor's office should become the next "Night at the Improv," but you have to admit-- there's something inherently funny about being in a scratchy gown, lying on a large people-slab covered in white butcher paper. At that point, you either have to laugh, or cry. I prefer the former, I suppose.