Cheap Thrills
Wednesday, October 27, 2004
It's official: Big-hair, glam rock is back. I got a little frightened of myself this morning, while driving to work-- I realized that the action on my odometer was directly related to the music I was listening to. Ballad? I got passed, going 23 mph. Rock anthem? I was driving like a lunatic. And the reason for it all is one of my new favorite bands, The Darkness. I found their debut CD underneath my passenger seat, and promptly fed it to my dashboard (Does anyone else's dashtop cd player sound like it's eating the CDS? Maybe that's just me). Two songs into the CD, I was driving like a maniac.

There's something about The Darkness. Perhaps it's their uncanny resemblance to another one of my favorite bands of all time, Queen. Perhaps it's the spandex skivvies that their front man, Justin Hawkins, is frequently seen sporting around London. Maybe a part of him reaches into my adolescence and tugs at the heartstrings that I once so devoutly promised to Steven Tyler. I don't know.

What I do know is that the CD, "Permission to Land," is amazing. At least for a bunch of guys who use more aerosol hairspray than these chickies.

This posting has been dedicated to the queen of lethal 80s rock, Miss Kristin "Kiss me Deadly" Ott.