Howdy!
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
So North Carolina is going relatively smoothly. After an incredibly early flight yesterday morning, I'm getting my bearings and learning more about the contemporary furniture industry. Did you know that the majority of men in this particular industry are gay? I didn't. I'm in this crazy large building with tons of people, and to my un-trained eye, ALL OF THIS FURNITURE LOOKS THE SAME. So I'm going to have to wander around and acquaint myself with the competition, their product lines, etc.

Highpoint is beautiful. The home that we're renting this week is well...interesting. It's beautiful too, if you're a 900 year old sailor and like wheels and mounted geese on the walls...frozen in flight. One of the ones over the headboard of my bed is in downward position, and I'm pretty sure that if you looked at me while I slept, it would appear as if the goose is going to crash into my head at full speed. Fun.

Towns like this remind me of what I love about the South-- the hills, green trees in October, and beautiful highway drives (with scenery! imagine that!). Then I walk into the local Harris Teeter and meet the locals. It's then that I truly appreciate my midwestern lifestyle. I appreciate that men are overly gentlemanly down here- carrying my luggage, opening/shutting car doors, and what not. But I'll trade luggage service for an intelligent conversation anytime.