Gratitude
Thursday, December 23, 2004
If I had a digital camera, I'd be able to show you the unbelievable amount of cookies that I made this week. Instead of buying holiday gifts for my co-workers, I decided to make them some homemade treats. As much as I enjoy baking, and as fun as it was to give my colleagues a little something to celebrate the holidays, here is a list of reasons why I will never, ever, EVER do it again:

1. It required venturing into a Target during the week of Christmas. How stupid can one person be? Armed with a short list, I really, truly thought I could get in and out in 15 minutes or less. I really did- how ridiculous a notion is THAT?

2. I had to recruit SMD to help me out for two whole nights of bake-a-palooza. Fortunately, he turned out to be quite the ace with a can of frosting. All the gingerbread men looked quite dapper in their shorts and shoes (one of them even had hair!). SMD even engineered a custom-made cookie cutter just for me- aren't I a lucky girl.

3. I may have spent more money on cookie ingredients than I would have just going out and buying something for each of my coworkers.

4. In an effort to prevent a last-minute run to the store, I bought flour, various sugars, and vegetable oil like I was one of the Ingalls-Wilder clan in town for the only time that spring, trading furs for molasses, salt blocks, and smoked beef. It was like the opening scene from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THIS LEFTOVER FLOUR?!

5. I used up literally every inch of counter space in my kitchen. Had my roommates been home last night, they would have had to eat on their laps. For those of you that have been in my kitchen, you know how many cookies all that countertop equals out to.

Nevertheless, the experience was a learning opportunity, and fun to do. Once.