Dyn-O-Mite!
Monday, January 03, 2005
SMD and I rented "Napoleon Dynamite" last night from our local video store. I really found it interesting. There are scenes in that movie that are SO INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE that one finds themselves wondering, "did my high school have geeks like that?!" I can personally recall several people from my graduating class that I could have cast in this film - myself included. I really related to the character of Deb, I'm almost frightened to admit. This is someone who is so caught up in her own life that she fails to see the way she presents herself to others. This is also someone who wore a side ponytail, stirrup pants with sneakers, and had multiple keychains hanging from her belt. (Well, technically, I did this in junior high, not high school...but who's paying attention to those details anyhow?)

The bottom line? This movie speaks to all of us who have done something so embarassing that we've just wanted to hang up the phone without a goodbye, or run away and go home, or hide under the cafeteria table. Incredibly clever film!