Mecca
Friday, February 04, 2005
I miss working downtown. I don't necessarily miss my old job that much, although I do very much miss the people and the company. I like my new job and my coworkers as well. But I think what I miss MOST OF ALL is the eL. Driving to work has its own unique challenges, unpredictability being one of them.

Sure, CTA has its ups and downs, delays, and occasional subway fires...but I really miss being able to just jump on the train. There's no scraping of ice involved, no freezing cold steering wheel in the morning, and no stopping at gas stations.

This morning on my way into work, I realized that I drive through some pretty rough areas of Chicago on my way to the office. Often times I'll see cars parked on the side of the road, riddled with broken glass and bullet holes. Add to that a quick trip through the Lathrop Homes Housing Project, and having to dodge large, tricked out conversion vans with tinted windows and oversize wheels. It's like they think they're the only ones on the road, I swear.

Also seen this morning, courtesy of the intersection of North Ave and Kimball Street: a woman drove her car into the front wall of a diner. I didn't see it, I only heard it. Scary stuff - she had a toddler in her car at the time, and there was no apparent reason for her...detour.

Oh, how I miss the much more tame urban jungle of North Michigan Avenue!