Schoosh, Swoosch
Sunday, March 13, 2005
Hello from sunny Steamboat Springs, Colorado! I am here for a long weekend, getting myself back on skis (and on a snowboard, for the first time) after multiple years. Can I please tell you how foolish I am, to think that my skiing experience on puny, artificially-created, Midwestern foothills would translate into ability on the side of an enormous mountain?! I AM A FOOL, DEAR READERS.

I had an okay day of snowboarding (yes, my ass hurts, for all of you who warned me that I would fall a million times). For the record, I only fell 8-10 times, and even took a lesson (where I only fell twice). Skiing was another story, the details of which I will not disclose. Let's just say that 1.5 days later, I'm cursing myself for being physically and mentally unprepared to tackle this mountain. Not to mention the lactic acid that is burning in my thighs equivalent to the heat produced in the fiery depths of Hell.

So what to do? Duh - take a long nap, hang out in the hot tubs, grab some Starbucks, and settle in to update my blog while watching ESPN's coverage of the big basketball weekend. GO ILLINI! In other news, this month's Scientific American magazine is excellent - every article was great! I pored over mine while waiting to depart O'Hare...definitely pick up a copy.

Off to go watch people fall all over the hillside. I love vacation.