Trip to the Big Easy
Monday, April 04, 2005

Cemetaries are very unique in New Orleans. The ground is marsh and swamp, so all the graves are above ground. We took the streetcar to the cemetaries and I saw this on top of one of the family tombs.


The history of many European nations converge in New Orleans. Most streets in the French Quarter have signs like this one, to educate the public about the roots of each street name.


Statue on the riverfront, near the aquarium. New Orleans riverfront area is great - lots to see and do. Taken prior to our trip down the Mississippi on the Cajun Queen.


View from our hotel


SMD took me to Cafe DuMonde, the original coffee shop, so they say. All I care about is their beignets, clever fried dough pockets COVERED in powdered sugar. Doughnuts, Schmoughnuts. I could eat a million of them.


Spires on the park gates in Jackson Square


SMD and I had breakfast at Brennan's, which is a New Orleans tradition. They serve snapping turtle soup, which is apparently very good. I didn't have it, and I'm glad for that - because they have a little pool in the courtyard of the restaurant. With. Turtles. In. It. I think this little guy was trying to escape his fate.


Behold, the view from our hotel room. There's nothing I would rather wake up to is an old man, sunning himself, NEARLY NAKED on his balcony across the street. That's hot, people.