Courage
Monday, May 16, 2005
I've been thinking about courage lately, and how it means such different things to different people. So many people in my life are what I would describe as courageous -- but are we really? What about the people in the 1840's, who faced their wagons away from the sun and just started walking? Is that real courage? Is it a relative term, that we've softened through the years and start applying liberally to sooth people's 21-st century-frazzled nerves? Is it really as courageous as I thought it was, to enter the puppy store, hold a puppy, and actually leave without buying it? (This takes serious courage from me, people. You don't say no to the most adorable miniature schnauzer in the whole wide world. I had already named him, for God's sake)

What is courage? Is it my longtime friend J's acceptance of her young sister's unexpected pregnancy? Is it my commitment to my diet? Is it young men and women going off to fight a war that so few of us actually believe in? Is it N's decision to swear off alcohol until after she takes the bar exam? Or is it my uncle, perhaps, deciding to retire from a life he's loved and known for so long?

I think it's all of that, and more. Thoughts?