Maturation
Monday, May 23, 2005
This weekend was one of life extremes - a birthday/graduation party, a sad death and resulting wake, quiet moments, and fun at a barbecue. Much like my good friend Meg, I struggle with the development of my life in relation to the lives of those in my immediate circle of friends and family. There have been several times, in the past 3 days, where I have been startled and stopped to think, "Wow, I'm really an adult," "Holy cow, she's really an adult," or "Wow, when did we all start genuinely discussing the weather? We must be growing up."

I am learning to deal with the constant motion of change, and trying my best to embrace it -- but for someone who is incredibly routinized, a change of pace can often become a setback. This is something that I work on daily - trying to be spontaneous (a relative term, for those who know me well), and trying to live my life instead of just going through the motions. After having dealt with a particularly significant shift in one arena of my life, I recently took stock of what I leave each troubling/trying situation with...and the only thing I could think of was the experience.

At the wake, I looked at a photo collage of one amazing woman's life, family, and friends, and the same sentiment resonated like a bell ringing clear in my ears. The family will miss this great lady every day of every year, but they also get to take her legacy and lessons with them wherever they go, forever. My condolences to HW and her family on the event of an irreplaceable loss.

Funerals being an obvious exception, this is all about looking back and finding a way to say, "God, that was a tough one, but I'm so much stronger because of it. Look at everything I've attained by keeping my head up," INSTEAD of complaining, and holding a grudge, or regretting. My friends and family are growing up, becoming parents, empty nesting, learning to share, partnering, moving on, coupling off, and planning for the future. If I cannot support them in their endeavors, I am remiss in my duties as sister, friend, and daughter.

Congratulations to NS on her graduation and birthday. We're proud of you!

Hooray for Jo on the news of her second pregnancy, a healthy first trimester, and for giving me yet another reason to shop for tiny, overpriced shoes and clothing.

Kudos to EW who, to this day, remains the most positive person I have ever met.

Hats off to JH who is kicking ass, and generally making her will known, in a man's world.

Good luck to MA who is about to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thumbs up to KT for taking a chance, again, and for being brave.