My Ears are Bleeding
Monday, May 09, 2005
At this time of year, I often reflect back on one of my favorite jobs in the entire universe-- being a dance instructor for....well...in the interest of anonymity we'll call it "Incredibly Successful Spirit Support Company X" (ISSSCX). When the weather starts to get warmer, I often find myself paying more attention to Top 40 Pop & Hip Hop radio...in the past, the most popular songs in the nation often became the inadvertant anthems of summer to me -- like it or not. For instance, songs like "Welcome to Miami" by Will Smith, "Flyaway" by Lenny Kravitz, "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones, and "Bling Bling" by Jermaine Dupri all invoke clear and vivid memories of days gone by.

Now that I have left ISSSCX, I wonder whether all the songs I find completely annoying will also be grating and irritating for my friends and former co-workers. Songs like "Hollaback Girl," "Switch," and "LaLa"...just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

Sympathetically, I find myself hating these songs as well, and will probably continue to do so all summer long! I may miss my old job dearly, but I don't miss the summer invasion of heinous hip-pop earworms.

On that note, I think I'll go listen to some Frou Frou and calm the hell down.