Operation Dog Beach: Captain Sandy Snout
Friday, May 20, 2005
There are a lot of dog people in Chicago, so the city is pretty good to us. At Belmont Harbor, on the near north side, there is a little beach dedicated to dogs - a place where they can swim, fetch toys from the water, etc. SMD and I decided it was "Sink or Swim" time for Doc. My chief concern was that he may not be an able swimmer (unlikely given his mix of breeds, but still) and I wanted to ensure that if he someday fell into a pool, he wouldn't....you know, drown.

So we rolled up our pants, waded out in the ICY water, and gave it our best. I stood in the shallow, while SMD took Doc out about 4 feet and placed him in the water to swim back to me. Several minutes and a couple frozen toes later, Doc was tired of swimming and decided to smell his way around the beach. Which meant that I was brushing sand off of him the entire rest of the weekend, but I digress.

Had the water been warmer, I feel he would have taken to it much more readily. Instead, he avoided it and would only walk in if baited with treats. Which meant that I spent the entire time with treats in my pocket, surrounded by huge, wet, super-olfactory-powered beasts. Creatures that could have knocked me over with one jump, hairy mongrels that, when standing, were taller than I am. There was a point where multiple dogs were aware that I had the t-r-e-a-t-s and I couldn't even bend down to the ground to reward my own little pooch for his brave swimming efforts.




Turns out he can swim quite well! But he doesn't exactly like it.