Lost in Translation
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
I got this idea from Alfred's Mom, and it turned out to be pretty interesting! First, you find an online translation tool. Type out a short paragraph, then translate it. Take the foreign result, and translate it back into English.

Original Paragraph
My name is Jamie. I have red hair and a sarcastic sense of humor. My dog's name is Doc, and he is a mix of dachshund and labrador. He barks a lot, much to my chagrin. Someday I would like to travel to South Africa, Egypt, and China. I would also like very much to visit Ireland, as I have never been there before.

German Translation
Mein Name ist Jamie. Ich habe rotes Haar und eine sarkastische Richtung der Stimmung. Name mein Hundes ist Doc., und er ist eine Mischung von dachshund und von Labrador. Er bellt viel, viel zu meinem Verdruß. Eines Tages möchte ich nach Südafrika, Ägypten und China reisen. Ich möchte auch sehr Irland besichtigen, wie ich nie dort vorher gewesen bin.

Reverse Translation back into English
My name is Jamie. I have red hair and a sarkastische direction of the tendency. Name my dog is Doc., and it is a mixture of dogdog dog and of Labrador. He barks much, much to my annoyance. A daily would like I to South Africa, Egypt and China to travel. I would like to visit also much Ireland, how I never was before there.

I did my translations at Dictionary.Com, but you can google your way to several perfectly useful online translation sites. Have fun!