Torn
Thursday, June 30, 2005
Well it's a tough day for me. Recently, the auditions for Professional Cheerleading/Dance Team X (that I was formerly a member of) finalized their 2005-2006 team. One of the new rookies that was chosen is a friend of mine from college - she was one of the strongest members on my university dance team.

My history with Team X is bittersweet, and I find it unfortunate that this particular team is one of very few Pro Dance options in the midwest. The team has historically been riddled by high turnover, uneducated management, and questionable decision making. Nonethless, it continues to thrive, and I openly concede that not all young women who join this organization feel the same way that I do. I hope and wish that someday someone will come along and be given the opportunity to realize the organization's full potential-- to turn it into what it could be, something even more special than it already is.

I also wish there were more options for aspiring entertainers, dancers, cheerleaders, whatever. But I digress.

I congratulate my friend on her accomplishment. She is physically flawless (I'm not kidding when I say this), a VERY accomplished dancer who is both smart in execution, and possesses an enormous amount of technical knowledge. On top of all of that, she has a warm heart and a quiet, old soul. I am so afraid that she is going to have a bad experience on this team, and can only hope that she is patient enough to see past the things that I could not.

I hope that Team X realizes what a treasure they have, and don't mistreat her. Just as I do with any other dancer I have coached, or instructed, I feel a strong maternal urge to protect her. They had better appreciate her selfless nature and pragmatism, and not lash back at her abilities simply because they exceed those of many of their multiple-year veteran members. She has great talent, and I would hate for her to waste it and end up with regrets like the ones I have.

Congratulations, friend. I wish you the best- have fun!