Vroom Vroom!
Friday, July 15, 2005
And on the seventh day, He created an event so amazing and yet so odd that it could only be named...NASCAR. Before Sunday, I was a car racing virgin. I'd been to the horseracing track a couple of times, but nothing with engines, or bikini tops, or barefooted attendees.

First things first: Before anyone googling "Nascar" gets all pissed about my thoughts, remember this -- I had a phenomenal time. I had SO MUCH FUN, people. Everyone should do this at least once in their lives. I can see how people get so wrapped up in the drivers, the team feuds, the technology of the cars, etc. BECAUSE IT'S FUN. So just relax. I liked it, and I'll probably do it again.

That being said, there are aspects to a NASCAR event that I hadn't thought about. Like tailgating. I've never tailgated before this, so of course I was overly meticulous about planning the food, the size of the coolers, and so on. Then we got there, and I realized that I had forgotten the plates. Shortly after arriving, we applied copious amounts of sunblock (SMD being as fair-skinned as I am) and went off in search of people watching.

Oh, baby. Break me off a piece of that!


Enter: Pre-Race Expo. The pre-race Expo is the lovechild of a suburban street festival and the Taste of...umm...Biloxi. You can rent headphones that pick up the communications of your favorite team, talking to your favorite driver. And they're not cheap, either - these crazy car folk ain't messin' around. Each driver/team has a semi with their sponsor logo and the drivers HUGE face on the side, selling team merchandise. Looking for a solid investment? There is serious money to be made at NASCAR. The people walking around are a mixed bag, some full-out hillbilly, some in khaki shorts and polo shirts. Some scary people are completely barefoot, and most everyone is carrying a cocktail in a foam carrier.

Evidence of foam carrier...and race car-inspired fashion. Hmmm.


After eating a delicious lunch of burgers and veggies (and several beers) we ventured towards the grandstand, and the upcoming race. Once driver's introductions were done, the pace car (a Charger) started the cars off on their way. Honest to God, it was really really neat. The race began and to my surprise, the 266 laps went by very quickly. My good friend Bud Light helped that time fly, I must admit.

This is as close as I got to barefoot. Also evidence of aforementioned beer.
I really do have ankles, I swear. It's just an incredibly unflattering angle. That's how much I love you guys - I want you to see every detail, right down to my lack of calf definition. Do you see the dirt on my legs?! Prairie dust.

Other entertaining parts of the day included the guy sitting in front of me


...and our amazing seats in the second row!


This guy was near us, sitting by himself. Attention all single ladies...


I think the only thing we didn't get to see that day was a fiery crash. Many thanks to SMD who made the day possible (it was his idea). Next time, though, I think we'll take a road trip and see one of the races in another city. Bristol, anyone?