I am my own Smoking Gun
Thursday, August 11, 2005
Last night, I left work a bit early to take care of one of those pesky rites of passage for anyone in their mid-twenties. The 26th birhday Drivers License Renewal.

Not only did I have to subject myself to be processed through a huge metro DMV facility (complete with miles of dark blue velvet rope stantions), but I had to retake the written exam, and get a new picture taken. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! NO ONE INFORMED ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK PRESENTABLE! Everything was just ducky until I was guided into the "card update" line and noticed that there were mirrors available a couple yards in front of me. Talk about a shock to the senses. It's eleventy-zillion degrees here, people, and with humidity like you wouldn't believe. Any self-respecting curly-headed female had her hair pulled back in a bun just like mine.

Do you KNOW what curly hair looks like when you pull it out of a bun? It looks like a scoop of ice cream. It's a battle of evils: either I pull my hair down and risk looking like a crazed homeless person, or I keep my hair in a bun and look like my own identical twin, crazy spinster style, or EVEN WORSE, completely bald.

Because I know that many photos put up on Blogger websites become property of the internet-at-large, and often times cannot be removed, I will NOT be posting before and after photos of my drivers licenses on this site. I can just imagine my children one day, searching some space-age website for "scary redhead" and finding my DMV photo. Please reference the photos below for a somewhat accurate representation.

Before:


After:


Niiiiiice.