It's a bird, it's a plane!
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
It's a blog, it's a diet! I have decided to blog again today instead of eating lunch. And no, this entry is not about how I have a tendency to abandon proper grammar and just type in the manner of which I speak...lots of commas, parentheses, and tons of tense violations. Several writers read this blog and ya'll can just SUCK IT, as Heather would say.

This entry is about drunkenness (theme for the day). (parentheses, again.) (oh my God, punctuation inside parentheses!)

(I heart parentheses)

I recently spent time with some old co-workers of mine in Boston, and had a great time. My old job (their current one) is atypical in that it involves a lot of group travel -- onsite experiences tend toward the dramatic, crazy, and difficult. The result of this is two-fold: (1) our bonds tend to be stronger and longer-lasting than most people who just "work" together, and (2) we have gotten/get the chance to see one another in a decidedly un-corporate light.

Seeing them recently brought to mind a shared trip that we all took last summer. I ran into some photos on an old disc and thought I would share the story with you.

Have you ever wondered why the photographers at school dances posed couples in the manner that they did? Bizarre body positions, odd head angles, and won't you just lift your chin a bit? No, not you, YOU. School dance photographers have a knack for making an already uncomfortable situation REALLY F&%#KING AWKWARD. Those of you that went to prom/homecoming/turnabout with someone who was "just a friend" know exactly what I'm talking about.

This topic was conversation amongst us one very drunken night in SoHo, NYC. I can't remember how many drinks were consumed as each of us shared our embarassing stories of skirts tucked into pantyhose, broken heels, garter diving, and lost cumberbunds. Suddenly, I had what *at the time* was a brilliant-upon-brilliant idea.

Pose for some prom photos. In the bar.



People's evidence A: you will see several things, including the #1 awkward prom pose (the "Standing Spoon") and my incredible inebriation, to name a few. Yikes.



I don't think I've EVER looked as incredibly, unapologetically drunk as I do in this photo. I frighten myself.