Puppy Love
Sunday, August 14, 2005
This afternoon, I realized how much I love my dog. I adopted him about 1 year ago, and there have been times when I can honestly say that I'm not sure whether I did the right thing. Sure, he was a stray and I definitely rescued him from a life of who-knows-what...but it's been difficult finding a balance and appreciating all the things he brings to my life.

Because I'm moving tomorrow (eek!) I thought it was best that I drop the dog off at the kennel for a couple of days. This not only gives him time to socialize with other dogs (which he doesn't do a lot of) but it also keeps him from being underfoot during the move. He tries to climb into my suitcase when I'm packing, so I figured witnessing an entire move may be a bit traumatic for him.

When I dropped him off this afternoon, I was in tears. They took him straight into a fenced outdoor area where the other boarders were playing, and all these big dogs were all over him, barking and sniffing to say hello. He looked so little and scared - he just flattened onto the ground and slunk off to a corner and watched me walk away through the chainlink fence. No wailing, howling, or barking - just a wide-eyed stare of total bewilderment as if to say, "But, but...what did I do? Where are you going?!" It literally hurt my heart to leave him.

I know he'll forget all about it in a couple of days, and that my tears probably had more to do with my lack of sleep and high stress level...but I simply couldn't take it. I really hope he adjusts okay over the next day or two, because I love the kennel and the staff there. They are so good to him and I would hate to have to switch facilities after finding one that I'm truly happy with.

I'm picking him back up on Tuesday, so I'll update you all then. Hopefully he'll be his usual happy self so that I don't have to worry. Keep my little man in your thoughts!