Well, we're moving on up to the EAST SIDE
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Last night, I picked up the keys to my new apartment and took a preliminary look around my new domain. I only have one thing to say - IT IS SMALL. Small like the Travelocity gnome. Small like my pinky toenail. Teeny tiny. It's so small, I will henceforth refer to it as the apt.

I went through a little renter's remorse, but felt much better after returning later with my parents to see it again. After noticing that the seal on the fridge was broken, I took another walk around. If you're from Chicago, you'll know what I mean when I say that it's in one of those beyond-ancient buildings that are hard to maintain. The hallways are a bit shabby, and the mailboxes definitely pre-date WWII. Some of the built-in cabinet drawers don't shut because they've been painted too many times, and if I wanted to, I could exit the shower and open the bathroom door in one fell swoop.

My excitement about living alone (if you don't count the dog) tempers all these potentially negative factors, however. Good things about it include: direct alley access for doggy walks and moving, two deadbolts on each door, a lovely sized living room, THREE closets, close to the doggy beach/lake, and just around the corner from the grocery store. Also, I am in the building next to my good friend Jennifer.

I anticipate a difficult transition, as I am moving from a fabulous 3-bedroom apartment with an ENORMOUS kitchen in a sweet-ass neighborhood to this little 1-bedroom homeslice...but I think it will be just fine. If I'm still sane by moving day, I will provide blog-worthy before and after photos of each place to further illustrate the mental challenge of moving from one place to the other.

Until then, enjoy this photo from my recent vacation...this is the view from our condo unit.