5,6,7,8...
Friday, September 16, 2005
Lately I've been noticing children everywhere. Perhaps it's because the end of the summer is approaching and they want to put in as much outdoors time as possible, perhaps it's because I live and work in residential areas, I don't know. Yesterday I was driving home from work and noticed what looked like an informal dance party in the central park of Logan Square. Sitting at the stoplight, I assumed that someone had brought out a boombox and they were all just having some lighthearted fun - the weather was gorgeous, so who can blame them?

Then they all started doing the same thing, and I realized I was witnessing a cheerleading/dance team practice. A warm feeling flooded my chest and I had to fight off pangs of mild jealousy - I can vividly remember the days when it was me out there, in the middle of the grass, not giving a damn who saw me.

Suddenly they all stopped, and stood still. Years of experience told me that a stunt of some sort was imminent...and sure enough, out came the craziest, most disorganized bunch of group toe touches that I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot. (For you non-dancers, a toe touch is a skill typically confined to cheerleading but more recently incorporated in dance that involves jumping straight up off the ground, putting your legs out to the sides in a spread eagle position, and reaching for them with equally outstretched arms to the right and left) They had zero technique, none of them were using their core muscles to control their movements, and OH! the hyperextension of the arms in the preparation. I had to fight the urge to get out of my car and go correct them.

I flashed back to years of practicing in my backyard with my good friend Emily, when all that mattered was making the varsity dance team. I remembered how being one of two sophomores on the varsity team (Emily was the other) was so incredibly gratifying, considering I'd been cut from the junior high cheerleading auditions. It was (and is) the only time I've ever been cut for anything, and I was determined not to let it happen twice. We even videotaped ourselves, in that summer of 1994...practicing body placement on our full-size trampoline, critiquing each other, and spending HOURS poring over the videos of hundreds of grand jetes done across my bumpy backyard.

In short, we were awful. Someday I will find those tapes and want to throw up - we were that bad. And yet somehow, over the years, I got better and took that road as far as it would go (for me, at least). I still communicate with the people who put their faith and effort into me, and into the development of my abilities. I can never repay them for the risks they took in gambling on my potential. They are the people who taught me humility, teamwork, self-discipline, and how rewarding it can be to help others.

Dance teams and cheerleading teams are filled with athletes of all kinds - they teach you how to make quick, intelligent decisions, take care of your body, treat others with respect, and diplomacy. One learns that a 2 minute halftime is NEVER ENOUGH to showcase all of the hard work that goes on behind the scenes, so you've got to make the best of what you have, when you have it. Any dancer can tell you that a studio/gym is far more challenging and competitive than a Pop Warner or Park District football program.

I drove away silently wishing that the girls I saw in the park have someone in their lives who can show them their potential - and I hope that they will be as fortunate as I have been.