Autumnal
Thursday, September 29, 2005
It's that time of year again. Last year, my first post of autumn was about my undying love for Honeycrisp apples (which, by the way, I saw at the Jewel-Osco last night -- that's a rare occurrence, people...snatch them up while you can).

I don't know why, but fall was a surprise to me this year. Perhaps I've been distracted with the typical business of summer's end -- storing my window unit, phasing out my tank tops, and saying goodbye to any hopes of a wild card berth for my beloved Chicago Cubs.

Suddenly this morning, it was like everything was crisp, bright, and cool - three of my favorite adjectives. My steering wheel was chilly when I got into my car this morning, I put on my ENORMOUS Iowa hoodie with an old pair of jeans, I had to shut the last of my open windows, and the mid-weight blanket on my bed was feeling a bit thin. I lit up a pumpkin pie candle at my desk, my hair is dry already, and I feel an unusual urge to head to the grocery store for cinnamon sticks.

Oh, and the leaves on a tree at the corner of Roscoe and Damen are starting to turn.

Yay! Fall is here!