I came, I saw, IKEA
Monday, September 12, 2005
I'm having a crisis of conscience about IKEA furniture. I work at a furniture company that makes solid, beautifully designed stuff, but I still can't get over some of the deals at IKEA. From an industry perspective, the stuff they sell is total crap. Substandard production, questionable structural quality, and some panel's veneer will inevitably start peeling as soon as you get it (and its swedish instructions) assembled. Simply put, there are more than 100 good reasons NOT to shop at IKEA.

That being said, I still love it. I can't get enough of the insanely cheap knick-knacks like dog butt wall hooks, flower pot shaped coffee mugs, and naked furniture that one can stain/finish at will. There's something about IKEA that makes me forget about how chaotic and crowded their stores are...how you have to dodge stupid people and their nineteen children who have stopped in the middle of a busy hallway to discuss what color they should get of the $1.99 wastepaper basket.

(wipes brow, considers editing run-on sentence)

This crisis is mostly unnecessary, and centered totally on my selfish need to "cozy up" my new apartment. There's a devil on my shoulder insisting that I go out this weekend and purchase 3 rooms of curtains, some glasses, and a storage cube that will become my end-of-the-bed-bench-slash-dirty-clothes-hamper. Cash is tight, so I'm forced to shop at IKEA instead of purchasing something my company makes - even with my SUBSTANTIAL employee discount, the stuff is just too expensive and fancy.

Am I crazy?!