Bells Will Be Ringing
Monday, October 31, 2005
Money's tight right now, like it is for a lot of people. Each year, I plan out my holiday gift-giving very carefully, ahead of time, so that I can get what I want for each person on my list. NOTHING is more exciting than giving people presents, at least not for me. I think at length about what to get each person -- sometimes it's perfect for them, and sometimes it's a total bust. But it's so much fun to plan out!

I usually have my master plan (and saving) done in November, and I do all my purchasing in the first week of December before the stores get too crazy. That gives me 3 whole weeks to enjoy the look of all the presents under my tree. This year, there might be a lot of envelopes with bows on them -- I'm finding all sorts of wonderful charities to which I can make dedicated gift donations.

My family and friends are so lucky to have what they need on a daily basis -- food, water, shelter, and their health. They don't really need anything.

When considering your holiday gift giving, how about giving your loved ones a feeling of having traded something material for something significant -- instead, letting them know that their gift is actually for someone else. It could be money for research, blankets, or even a water buffalo. I promise you that it will be a memorable holiday for you, and for so many others.