Giving Thanks
Monday, November 28, 2005
This past weekend, I had the chance to visit with all sorts of people that make my life interesting. One of them was Jen, a good friend of mine from high school. She is the yin to my yang in many ways...although our combined sarcasm can be too much for some people. She is calm when I am wild (and vice versa) and she continues to be the master of a little something I like to call the well-timed snort. It's a classic.

Also, the holidays are a time when I get to try on different life "hats", like attempting to play with my sister's lovely children without corrupting them. For instance, I tried to entertain young Grant by laying next to him on the floor and putting a Lamaze Brand toy in front of my face. He looked, drooled, and I slept -- it worked for awhile. Then he started crying, and my entire family looked over at me with that weary, parental, all-knowing look that says, "Well, you can't blame her for trying, but what does she know?! She only has a dog."



I also got a chance to play photographer, not because of any natural aptitude for photography, but rather because I have the nicest camera of anyone in the family. We attempted to take a full-family portrait, but that's difficult when you have a toddler in the group who is afraid of anything that operates on it's own without human assistance. (Examples include the automatic setting on my camera and Hokey Pokey Elmo)


Isn't it sad that Bri managed to get a manicure in time for the gathering, but I couldn't? Being bested by a 2-1/2 year old is no picnic, lemme tell ya. But she's cute, so I willingly concede victory.