Gobble Gobble
Monday, November 07, 2005
I decided that my official housewarming party would be a miniature Thanksgiving dinner with my closest friends - miniature in size and guest list, due to my teeny apartment and teeny-er oven. (Hope no one minds eating their dinner on a folding chair in the hallway! You think I'm kidding?)

Anyway, of COURSE I would have to make the party plans as difficult as possible, so I decided to make the turkey. I could just order it from Whole Foods or Honey Baked Hams, but I'd rather not spend $100 on poultry alone. That's just fowl.

Ha! My father (and Milton Berle) would be so proud.


Sean had a fabulous idea this weekend - instead of going out on Saturday night, we'll rent a movie and do a practice run of the turkey making. Secretly, I think he does it because he likes to make sarcastic jokes about my cooking ability, which is average at best. I'm not bad, but I'm no Julia Childs. After gathering the ingredients, buying the bird pieces (we're not talking whole turkey here, people - remember I have the adult equivalent of an E-Z-Bake Oven), and bringing it all home, we set off on the impossible quest.

Climbing Mt. Everest, you ask? No...making a Thanksgiving turkey that doesn't suck.


And we did it! I made Sean cut the onions (because I'm wimpy like that - they really make my face hurt) and I did some zesting, and made the gravy. It turned quite well, if I do say so myself. The best part? It wasn't half bad the next day, and it wasn't dry!

I got the recipe for the dish from the Food Network. Search for "Turkey," then look for any recipes from Rachael Ray, marked "easy." I'm a big advocate for ANYTHING marked easy. I'm also a big advocate for dishes that don't turn out to be total disasters. Hooray! Jamie can cook!