On the Radio...WHHOOOAAAA...On the Radio
Monday, November 14, 2005
This morning, while my favorite morning show was on commercials, I switched over to a crappy morning show to bide my time - perhaps listen to a little overplayed hip-pop. Instead, I heard the second half of a conversation in which they were taking call-in comments. A young woman called in, got on the air, and proceeded the use the following phrase to describe the reaction of the general public to the topic at hand:

"Everyone just turns a blind cheek."

Sounds like someone needs an lesson on anatomy-based idioms.

I don't know if she's new to American phraseology, or perhaps was raised in a linguistically confused home, but it annoyed me that she went on-air with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of listeners, and used a phrase that doesn't exist. How does one come up with something like this?

Ears listen, eyes see, cheeks...ummm...help keep your food in your mouth. So you can turn a blind eye, turn the other cheek, or fall on deaf ears. Get it straight, lady.