Outed
Thursday, November 03, 2005
I was busted this morning by dear ParisJasmal in regards to my dance background, and I feel like there is a pressing need for me to clarify my experiences before people I don't know start to jump to conclusions. Not that you would, PJ, but I'm just saying in general...

God knows I don't want to add fuel to the fire of anonymous comments I've been getting about how stupid I am, and how I'm a guy's worst nightmare.

I was on dance team in high school - suburbs. In retrospect, yikes. After high school, I started work for a wonderful company that gave me many opportunities to make contacts and work in the dance industry, for which I am very grateful. It remains, to this day, my most favorite job. I was on 2 dance teams in college - one competitive, one performance, I loved both. After college, I moved to TN to coach a collegiate dance team which I loved. Then I moved home and in an effort to continue my activity and stay "fresh", I did what any rational cheer/dancer would do. I turned pro.

I spent some time here and here. I left each of these teams for different reasons. Being part of groups like the ones above is hugely consuming of one's energy, time, and sanity. I have friends that are on each team, and I love that they can find a way to rearrange their lives to be a part of the action -- it's very difficult to compromise other parts of your life to take part in this kind of stuff. It's all or nothing a lot of the time - my priorities changed, and I left. Next time you see some sweet T&A on the court at halftime, think twice about pigeonholing those ladies into some mental image of Pamela Anderson - they are lawyers, students, mothers, scientists...I'm sure you get my drift.

There. Now you know.