Reason # 43,899 that Jamie is totally naive
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Dear Man illegally soliciting for change outside McDonalds,

This morning, I was in a fairly good mood. You greeted me sweetly and didn't throw me any of those guilt-inducing looks that I sometimes get from Streetwise vendors and other assorted street-level personnel. I can't imagine what it is like to have to beg for your breakfast (or any meal for that matter) in the cold, drizzly city. I can't imagine what it might be like to ask all day, at the risk that you may receive nothing. I can't imagine what it might be like to feel so depressed that you feel that you can't utilize the shelter system, or can't pick yourself up and go out and get a job to pay for your own breakfast. It breaks my heart a little actually - not out of pity, of course, but out of plain old compassion for another human being.

So it would make sense that when I presented you with a $5 Arch card that I had purchased specifically for you, that I would hope you would head inside to warm up and fill up. When I looked back at the end of the courtyard, you were still sitting outside begging. Go get some damn breakfast!

Sincerely,

Jamie
Chicago, IL