PG-13
Monday, March 27, 2006
I rarely do entries like this, but here goes...

Confession: If there were a movie made of my life, the big love scene (where the boy and girl eventually get together) would be very specific. Not too mushy, very little PDA, and it would need to be partially in slow motion. Why, you ask? Because I said so, internet. Because it's a movie of MY life, not yours. There wouldn't be anything overtly sexual in the scene - only innuendo and vague motion, because let's be honest - for better or worse, I am not Paris Hilton.

Additionally, there would be no dialogue. The only sound would be the song "Secret World" by Peter Gabriel, playing throughout. A very specific recording of it, in fact, the one from a 2-CD set of live recordings - the name escapes me but the CDs are red and yellow. (Jonna's blog got me thinking about his music)

For those of you that know me well, you know that I have an unhappy history with Peter Gabriel songs, particularly "In Your Eyes" which I hate. But I'll gladly make an exception for "Secret World" - mostly because it makes me want to...[edited out of a sense of obligation to be discreet and also because my mother might be reading this]

The song is just so sexy, I can't explain why I'm drawn to it. Listening to it makes me think of that electric, tactile moment between two people - that instant when you feel like you're going to explode right out of your skin, like all of your nerve endings are raw and exposed. The bass line thumps like a quickened heartbeat, and the melody is sort of lush and mournful in tone. I can't get enough of it.