WYSIWYG
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
As a result of my efforts to prepare my new website, I've been thinking a lot about exactly where I fit in the blogosphere. I'm not a mommy blogger, sports blogger, gay blogger, or even one of those ultra-hip-i-wear-lots-of-black-and-listen-to-the-dead-milkmen-and-go-to-live-poetry-readings bloggers. I'm just me, take it or leave it.

That being said, I've also spent some time evaluating my photography as it relates to this site. My interest in photography popped up long before I ever knew what a blog was, and I have this beautiful camera, and sometimes I'm not even sure if my photos are good. I have this awful tendency to overanalyze, and criticize myself.

Take, for instance, this photo of my niece's hand, taken while she was asleep in her car seat:

At first glance, I like the image itself, and then I start wondering, "Maybe it looks like she has half-fingers because her fist is curled. Will people think she lost all her fingertips in a freak daycare accident?"

It's weird, this blogging, and after almost 2 years of it I'm still not sure whether it's the right fit. As far as creative outlets go, it gets the job done...but is it worth the time I spend? I guess, like many things in life, I just need to stop critiquing and acknowledge it for what it is. A very public diary. And if people don't like my photos, it's not like I'm trying to impress anyone - go ahead with your hate-orade. Bring it on, I'm ready.