Cut it Out
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
I can't stand all the press that is being given to the recent controversy (for lack of a less dramatic but equivalent word) about the group of White Sox players that are being asked to cut their hair.

At the risk of inciting anger and ire amongst any readers that might be White Sox fans, I have to say what every logical person in Chicago is thinking right now: GET OVER YOURSELVES ALREADY. Drop the bullshit and get out onto the field.

I do not say this because I am a Cubs fan, in fact I was very happy for our Southside franchise when they won the World Series. I think they deserved everything they worked so hard to get. That being said, a few players need to be reminded of the way MLB (or any other pro sport, for that matter) franchises operate. You're a player - a commodity. If your GM or your owner tells you to jump, your answer should be, "How high?" I'm not necessarily an advocate of that type of managerial behavior, but I'm also not in denial about what the pro sports environment is like.

It's pay to play out there, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. So next time I read an article in the newspaper about how some lazy, scruffy guys (who admit they are simply too lazy to get a haircut in the off season) now feel BETRAYED by their team's administrative requests, I might have to hit someone. You make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year -- you have enough money to get a damn haircut. I'm sure there are more than a few farm system players out there who would happily shave their heads (if asked) in exchange for a promotion up to the big leagues.

I know it makes me sound like a real Pollyanna, but I think that the best athlete is a mix of ability and attitude.

Next thing you know, they'll be claiming betrayal when forced to wear the team uniform and we'll have outfielders in cargo shorts and tiki shirts. You want to be Dennis Rodman? Go buy a skirt and some eyeliner. You want to play in the pros? You do what you're told.

Period.