Egghead
Monday, April 17, 2006
All the rain we've received over the weekend has really done a number on my good mood. After a relaxing day off on Friday, and a hilarious girls night out on Saturday, I wanted to roll into Easter Sunday with a smile on my face. At around 12:30 pm, when I yelled across the brunch table to my uncle and he still couldn't hear me over the din of a million pastel-clad families, I realized something unfortunate. I'm the Easter Scrooge.

Let's put it this way -- I don't get a chance to see my extended family very often. Outside of religious holidays and the occasional birthday, my correspondence with them is relatively limited. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what sports team my uncle would be supporting (Duke, as it turns out, in honor of Sean's alma mater). The fatal flaw in our plan, however, was the choice of dining at a lakefront resort in Wisconsin -- you know the type: huge ballrooms of families, with an enormous all-you-can-eat-and-then-some buffet, kids running everywhere, and the damn place is so loud that I can't even be alone with my thoughts. Is it inappropriate of me for wanting to have eaten in a place where I could hear the conversation at the table?! Aaargh.

I was crabby all day yesterday, because what I would have really liked was a quiet dinner at home, with family, and just OUR munchkins running around. Driving home in a rainstorm didn't help either -- I know it's selfish, but it just took me awhile to decompress and collect myself. My family doesn't center around me, which is a good thing...I guess I just didn't show up prepared to compromise my reclusive tendencies with my family's extroversion. It took me one chick flick and half a book to recover. Yet another sign that I'm not quite ready to have kids yet.

On the bright side, I can at least practice by spoiling these kids--


That spot on Grant's face is the remnants of an unfortunate battle with eczema. In other news, Bri has hair! Yippee!