Not so Ruff
Friday, April 07, 2006
Went to crack some skulls at the 'lord earlier this afternoon - his office is only 3 blocks from mine, so I figured I could dish it out in person. Then I got there, and realized that the legalese-intimidating-letter-writing-man was skinnier than me and roughly the same height. Seriously - one punch and he snapped like a Triscuit.

Okay, I didn't really punch his lights out. Conversely, I must say that everything worked out in the end. My building's live-in superintendent has apparently been showing an apartment that is in my stairwell (upstairs and across the hall). Every time he walks potential tenants up the stairs and past the front door, Doc goes berserk. This fact doesn't surprise me, as he can be territorial and can be upset easily when he can't see what he hears. Since I'm not home during the day, I had no idea any of this was happening.

Sidenote: In my file, the super had written, "bark is very loud - sounds like an enormous lion." HA! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Apparently Doc wields his 19 pounds with the strength of Mighty Casey at the bat. Moreover, since when do lions bark? Whatever. Moving on...

I had to fill out a permit, pay $25 for the month of April, and it turns out the guy was really nice about it. I think he appreciated that I'm not one of "those" people who owns a toddler-eating rottweiler and claims that it's quiet, calm, and sweet. He did send me off with a mafia-esque goodbye, though, which was a little creepy-- "So make sure you bring that paperwork back on Monday, and keep that little one quiet. Otherwise I'll break your arms. Hahahahahahaahahahahaah!" and walks away.

Ummm, whuh?

So it's an easy problem to fix - Doc stays crated during the day, in my room with the door shut. That way, he can't hear people walking in the stairwell...and if he does and barks, at least it's muffled by a wall and a hallway. I'm just glad that this wasn't brought about by an unhappy neighbor - that would have been just downright embarassing.

So Doc can stay, as long as I can figure out a way to shut him up. I'm thinking cage during the day, citronella collar by night. Thanks for your support, all.