Reading
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Technically, I finished the book Marley & Me by John Grogan.

I received this book from my 93 year old grandmother as an Easter gift. In our family, we exchange gifts everytime we get together -- I have no idea why, but it makes for some expensive Memorial Day weekends, lemme tell ya. My aunt and maternal grandmother both love dogs, have always had dogs, and were overjoyed when I got a dog. Doc got Easter gifts. That's how much we love us some dogs in the Jamie family.

I have long thought that caring for a companion animal has kept my grandmother's life in order - gives her something/someone to cook for, to love, and to talk to. I think the same applies for my Aunt & Uncle, who had a Olde English Sheepdog named Sherman during my childhood. I distinctly remember riding him around like a pony, which didn't really work with our family dog (a very cranky, 14 lb. dachshund). They now have a Cairn/Norwich Terrier mix named McDuff (think Toto, only brown)...and for the record, my uncle does not make the dog wear sports paraphenalia.

But, I digress. The book is light and easy to read, with a warm tone throughout. Sweet without being saccharine, and yes, I cried once towards the end. So sue me. The stories of Marley's mishaps are enough to make me want to cook up a prime rib for Doc every night, just to show him how much I appreciate him being so well behaved.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who loves someone who loves dogs.