Bittersweet
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Tonight I will attend a dinner in honor of my father's retirement. They are throwing him a dinner party to celebrate 34 years with his employer (a global consumer packaged goods company) . My entire life has been littered with intermittent stories of his work - people, holiday parties to be attended, and for a few years he traveled all over the world and would be gone for long stretches of time. I've babysat his coworkers' babies - they are all grown now, and a few are headed off to college. To say that this makes me feel old is the understatement of the year.

My father is the most straightforward, ethically sound, quietly affectionate man I have ever met. He has worked since the age of 13 when he sold photographic equipment at a store our family used to own, in central Illinois. He did payroll during his time in the US Army, worked in the White House, and even laid railroad ties one summer. He's my mentor, ALWAYS calls me out on my bullshit, and has no patience whatsoever for people who don't respect others. He's an amazing father, a loving and supportive husband to my equally fabulous mother, and he's about to step into completely unknown territory. Days filled with crossword puzzles, tv documentaries, and grandchildren will soon replace his 50-60 hour work week, suits, and statistical data. What is a simple rite of passage - nay, a relief - for many will be an enormous undertaking for him.

I've spent most of my young adult life hearing, "You are just like your father." It is true on some levels - I have his hair (color and type), his short temper, and his freckly arms. My sister got his nose, his laid back nature, and his ability to pick things up with his feet.

For better or worse, I couldn't ask for a better compliment.