Days Gone By
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Do you ever go through something that makes you long for the past? I don't look back often - in fact, I hardly remember certain things that I was sure were going to chnage my life profoundly at the time - but every now and then, I get nostalgic. It starts like a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach, and develops into something that is almost unbearable. Not regret, necessarily, but the feeling of wishing I could just hop back a 2 years, 4, or maybe a decade.

I had some serious pangs of nostalgia this morning, sitting in my meeting. I think it must have been the rain...I don't know, all of a sudden I really missed a time in elementary school when my paternal grandmother was staying at our house. She died when I was still relatively young, and sometimes I have trouble remembering her.

A more emo, fuzzy person would say something lame like, "Your grandmother's spirit is in the rain," but I can't explain it away that simply. Something about the rain really reminded me of her, and suddenly I wanted so badly to go back and just say hi or something. It was weird.