This is better than a big Diet Coke, and that's sayin' something
Thursday, May 18, 2006
Productivity, that is. I took today off to attend the Cubs game, but realized upon waking up this morning that I would have extra WEEKDAY hours in which to accomplish those things I've been putting off for weeks. It is not yet 11:30 am, and I have already picked up my dry cleaning, picked up custom dyed shoes for Jen's wedding, run to the pet store for dog food, done the dishes, gone to the ATM, and done one load of laundry. BOOYAH.

Then it hit me: this is what I miss most about working from home. It wasn't so much that I got a lot of WORK done, per se, but there was always the option of running out for an hour or so to get. shit. done. "Working from home" (at least for me) was more like manning my phone while watching Oprah. Sure, I geared up big time in the weeks preceding an event I was coordinating, but the rest of the time was just housekeeping. I could always jump in my car and run to Sonic, Kinko's, or the grocery store. Getting things done was/is like a drug for me - I know this isn't the first time I've blogged about it.

I'm flabbergasted at how much I could get done if I just took one day off each month, to get my act together -- not that I'm going to do it, but it did cross my mind a couple hundred times. Just thinking about it makes me want to switch careers and become something home-based, like say...a writer, a photographer, or perhaps even a SAHM someday. THIS PRODUCTIVITY BUSINESS IS ADDICTIVE, I TELL YOU.