Ass-tronomical Epiphany
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
I blame America's obesity (in part) to the ongoing development of stretch fabrics. Walking out to get my afternoon Diet Coke, I dropped my keycard on the pavement. After what turned out to be a surprisingly painful grande plie, I had a thought. It went something like this, "Damn. Guess these pants didn't have any stretch in them. I need to go on a diet...I'm really uncomfortable."

Eureka!

Given the increasing integration of stretch materials into today's popular fabrics, and ultimately mass marketed clothing, it's NO WONDER that people don't pay attention to what they are eating. The blended non-wrinkle, partial-stretch makeup of my work wardrobe has inadvertantly bought me some valuable, but dangerous, time. Time to stuff my face before realizing all my clothing was too tight, that is. Taking it one step further, think about the 1950's -- teeny, tiny waists were in, accented by volumninous skirts. All the popular fabrics were non-stretch cottons, unforgiving wools and tweeds, and polyester had yet to hit the scene.

Remember when denim wasn't stretchy? I was thinner then. A tenous connection, I realize, but something to keep in mind. Hmmm.