Independence Day
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
This weekend will be the celebration of Doc's 3rd birthday. No, there won't be a dog-friendly cake, treats, or other dogs invited to a party...but there will be fireworks provided by our fair city is throwing in his honor. (and maybe for that other holiday that is taking place, but whatever)

When I adopted Doc, the shelter informed me that their best guess on his age just over a year - so I decided that his birthday would be July 1. Frankly, I'm surprised that I even remember them telling me this -- I had taken a red-eye flight from California the night before, and driven straight from the airport to the shelter, which is two states away (sort of).

I have vivid memories of my hands shaking as I wrote the check for the adoption fee, and putting on his purple leash and collar that Sean and I had bought at a small pet shop on the side of the road in Berkeley. As we drove away, I was fairly certain that I'd just made the biggest mistake of my life -- buyers remorse, only with a LIVING BEING.


Then, at a Burger King, he got loose and ran into a crowd of construction workers to say hello. By the time I got there, they were giving him sips of water and bits of their buns, and I knew he was a keeper. Sure, he's a little weird looking, but he has been nothing short of loving, adorable and well-behaved ever since.