Raggedy
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
So there I was, minding my own business on the bus. I looked up from my book in an effort to realign my fuzzy vision because my book is really good but I forgot my reading glasses at home and DAMMIT I WANT TO KEEP READING THIS DAMN BOOK, DAMN IT ALL TO HELL. EVERYTHING IS FUZZY. MUST. RUB. EYES.

As I was saying. I looked up to clear my vision, and noticed that the girl sitting across from me was suffering from summer shoe stress. SSS is common for most women who care about having seasonally appropriate footwear -- some symptoms include massive blisters, an unusual expertise as to what brand of fabric band-aid is best, the presence of a back-up pair of flip-flops, and a sour demeanor displayed on the face. I felt for her, I really, truly did. Her feet were a HOT MESS, as my friend Mallory would say.

See for yourself:


Don't ask me how I got this lovely cameraphone shot...I'm stealth with the Samsung, my friends. Moving on: The red arrows indicate the presence of a gross, sweaty, bandage that was (most likely) hanging half-off, flapping in the breeze. The fuchsia arrow indicates the base of a strap, which was probably torn off in an effort to prevent another blister, or out of sheer frustration. The green arrow indicates a poor fit, which is probably part of the problem in the first place.

On top of feeding the appetites of the foot fetish pervs that are going to find this post through Google, I want to say this to my fellow SSS victims: 'Tis better to be seen commuting in flip-flops and awkwardly changing your shoes outside your office building, than it is to be witnessed (and blogged about) on the CTA with raggedy ass feet.

That is all.