Listening
Thursday, August 03, 2006
So there I was, bored as hell, at the Target in Murfreesboro, TN. (I hadn't yet resigned myself to trips to the movies alone as a form of entertainment) My hair fell down my tank-topped back like unkempt ivy - emphasis on the unkempt. I was cranky, having discovered that very morning Chik-Fil-A's policy of closing on Sundays. Apparently Jesus doesn't like to see poultry die on the Sabbath. I didn't care who saw me, didn't understand my new surroundings, didn't want to take the time to bother acclimating. I was too depressed and self-centered to consider my bravery as such.

It was late summer, 2001, and I needed a pick-me-up. I was coming down off of a summer of dancing, stress, graduating college, commuting between Tennessee and Illinois, leaving friends, taking new jobs, and the list goes on. I knew myself well enough to know that I'd be spending the rest of the day crying if I didn't snap out of it already. So I found myself wandering Target, curious about this Nelly Furtado person that I kept hearing on the radio. Her first CD was just out, and so I picked it up -- I figured that would be cheaper than getting clothing or food. Ten minutes later, I was sitting in the hot, sticky drivers seat of my tiny Suzuki, tearing off the cellophane and waiting for the AC to cool down.

I drove the 1.3 miles home, around the corner near the BBQ restaurant and pottery store. GOD, it's still so clear in my mind -- years later! Weird. By the time I pulled into the driveway, I was dancing in my seat. I still think of that CD as ushering in one of the most fertile personal growth periods in my so-called adult life. This crazy CD, with its nutty, ethnic, pop-but-not-really beats lifted me out of my funk. I cried the first time I realized (in 2005) that the CD was scratched and would need to be replaced.

So for whatever strange reason, I feel intrinsically tied to this new album. So far, so good.