Meme From All & Sundry
Friday, December 29, 2006
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
I bought a condo.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Confucius say: Have no self-discipline, make no resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank Goodness.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just the good ol’ US of A – but I saw a lot of it!

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Self-restraint in regards to personal finances and budgeting.

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hmmm, I’m not good with dates…I guess September 11th, because I closed on my condo that day and have never been so terrified in my entire life.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I obtained a job in an industry that I find interesting, with a company that I actually like, and I don’t plan on leaving any time soon. Those 3 things, in and of themselves, are a major developmental accomplishment for me. You have no idea – I get so easily bored, I call it a “9-month” itch.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being careful about what I put in my mouth, and being even less careful about what comes out of it.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No (furiously knocking on wood)

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Besides the apartment, my favorite things purchased are my books. And I purchased many of them in 2006, because I am a crazy person when it comes to books.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Sean got a big promotion, and my father finally retired! Two very big celebrations!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Unfortunately, my extended group of friends lost a comrade this year to a situation in which oversensitivity, misunderstanding, and the inability to accept others as they are reigned supreme. Someone made some assumptions, got their feelings hurt for no reason, and willingly chose to drop us all as friends. As hurtful as it may have been (for one person in particular), I think we all hope that the person who so unceremoniously “dumped” us will, ultimately, be happy.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Condo, Books, Diet Coke, Fabulous but Unnecessary Apparel. In that order.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Honestly? Going to Talladega and seeing the NASCAR track there, riding in a car, and seeing Sean drive. It was really unique and amazing.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
I refuse to pick one, so here are four:
“Who Says You Can’t go Home” – Bon Jovi w/Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland
“Promiscuous” – Nelly Furtado
“Would you Go With Me” – Josh Turner
“SOS” – Rihanna

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer?
Happier, Fatter, and N/A.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Dancing. Classes are so expensive, and really truly the only kind of physical exercise that I don’t find skull-numbingly boring.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Whining.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent Christmas with my immediate family, as always. I don’t know how much longer we’ll be able to celebrate that way, but we’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

21. What was your favorite TV program?
“My Boys” on TBS. So hilarious, and true to the 20 and 30-somethings in Chicago.

22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t HATE anybody. Hate is a very strong word.

23. What was the best book you read?
I could never pick one, but I did enjoy Marley & Me, as well as The Other Boleyn Girl.

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sam Stryke, Snow Patrol, and The Dixie Chicks (again!)

25. What did you want and get?
Happiness, continued friendship, and organization.

26. What did you want and not get?
Rich.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Talladega Nights, The Holiday

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to work (it was a Wednesday, I think), had dinner w/friends, turned 27.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Try not to forget pants before walking out the door.

31. What kept you sane?
My dog, and oddly enough, this blog.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I’m not really enamored of anyone in particular, but I must admit that I’m drawn to Matthew McConaughey. I try not to pay attention to the fact that he’s clearly insane, perhaps a touch gay, and usually sweaty and/or high as a kite. I prefer to imagine him as he was in “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.” Also well documented: my love for William Petersen from CSI.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try not to think too much about politics – I don’t know enough to form a truly educated opinion, and I tend to get really focused on only a single issue at a time. I can’t handle it all simultaneously. I think what upsets me the most is the war in Iraq, but what about all the other horrendous things going on in places like Darfur, Afghanistan, and here in the US where fur companies skin animals when they’re still alive? What about homelessness? What about child abuse? What about the nuclear fallout in Russia – where people are walking around Chernobyl with misshapen arms, legs, and faces? Where do you draw the line? See what I mean?

In order to stem my inability to care for all things at once, I give time and money to the Avon Foundation for Breast Cancer Research, Prevention & Treatment, as well as St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

34. Who did you miss?
My grandfather.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Measure twice, cut once.