Snap Crackle Pop
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
I have an extreme aversion to all thing "crack-able" - backs, fingers, etc. I can't STAND it when people crack their knuckles in front of me, or twist around to grab the back of a chair and crack their backs. (SHUDDDEEERRRRR - gah!) There's just something about the fact that the noise originates from the popping of gas bubbles in/around bones that makes it seem as if perhaps it's just NOT a natural thing to do. Not to mention the fact that it has a hand in making the body less resistant to conditions such as arthritis.

Full disclosure: Sometimes I have to pop my hips and toes due to old dance injuries (and perhaps some early arthritis) but I don't even like it when I have to do it.

Can someone please explain to me that appeal of this habit? Any knuckle crackers out there? I just don't understand.