All This Adulthood is Tiring, I Need a Cocktail
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
So I had this really long, drawn-out, pseudo philosophical entry written about my self-imposed guilt as it relates to shopping. It's just the typical tailspin that I go through after a week of 2 Sephora outings, 4 bills, and a haircut...then a marathon checkbook balancing session. The situation isn't always good, but hell - it could definitely be worse.

Then I had a brilliant epiphany. I am a complete ass! All this bitching and complaining about how I never feel confident about my finances, when IN REALITY, they're a good measure better than they could be. All the time spent yelling inside my head (at myself - it's difficult, not everyone can do it) about how I shouldn't have spent $X on this, but instead on that, when the truth is, I shouldn't have spent it at all.

Benjamin Franklin wasn't kidding when he said that a penny saved is a penny earned. Jeepers.

What it comes down to is that I am a HOT. MESS. about my finances. You could stick me in a dance studio for hours on end, and bark at me to, "DO IT AGAIN! AND AGAIN! ONE MORE TIME! FASTER! SHOULDERS DOWN!" and I would. You can hand me a PhD dissertation on notebook paper and tell me to have it typed in an hour, and I would do it. But tell me to balance my checkbook? Gah - it's like pulling teeth.

If I were the resolution type, I would have made a promise to myself that I would straighten up and fly right when it comes to money. But I know me, and that might not happen. Ever. So I'm just going to do my best, try to make good decisions, try NOT to shop at Sephora quite so often, and see what comes of it.

There's no point in bitching about where I am in life, because all of a sudden, I am very aware that I got me to where I am.

Whether I like it or not.