Fergalicious DEF...or, Things That Make me Feel Old
Monday, January 15, 2007
During a recent dance competition, I casually leaned over to another judge while "Fergalicious" was playing and mentioned that it always reminds me of J.J. Fad's "Supersonic" hit from the late 80s. (I could never figure out whether Fergie directly sampled it, or whether it just sounds remarkably similar) The other judge sort of smiled and looked at me blankly, so I thought perhaps she hadn't heard me over the bass...so I told her this quick, anecdotal story about how the coolest class at my old dance studio once did this routine to Supersonic using black lights and flash gloves (oh yes, yes they did).


She threw her head back in laughter at the mere thought of the flash gloves (because they were a big, trendy thing for a while in the 1980's dance team world) and innocently asked, "Who is Supersonic?"