What I Know
Monday, January 29, 2007
I know that war is tragic, horrific, and often just as necessary as it is unnecessary.
I know that people often leave their handguns out within reach of their small children.
I know that 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
I know that there is no cure for some of the most painful and deadly diseases on earth.

You know what else? I'm furious that in a world with problems like hunger, terrorism, and rapidly dwindling ecosystems, this story is news to us. This makes me so unbelievably angry because it's PREVENTABLE, it's NEEDLESS, and it's simply AWFUL that someone could make the decision to do this to a helpless animal. I know it isn't a big story, it isn't as shocking as war or rape, but it still raises my hackles. It shouldn't be news at all, because it shouldn't be happening.

That's what I know.