The Accidental Chili
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
This morning, I took some ground beef out of the freezer and put it in the fridge. Thinking to myself, "Dinner's taken care of, you responsible adult, you" I neglected to consider what I might actually put with it. I was too preoccupied with patting myself on the back. I don't know about YOU, but a pound of browned beef crumbles does not a delicious dinner make -- at least not for me.

After a quick pantry perusal, I realized that I was either (a) S.O.L., or (b) going to have pull something clever out of my you-know-what. Then, like a flash of culinary GENIUS, I accidentally created Jamie's really-good-even-though-it-sounds-disgusting-chili.

This is what passes for blogworthy excitement when one is single, sober, and lacking in fresh produce.

Ingredients:
1 pack Chili Seasoning, leftover from a 2004 chili making binge
1 lb. ground beef, browned/drained
1 can, something-teen oz., Italian Seasoned Diced Tomatoes
1 can, Progresso Black Bean Soup w/Bacon, partially drained



Brown and drain beef. Put everything else in pan, along with a splash of water, I don't know how much. Heat until you feel like it's done, until it looks done, or until you get so hungry you can no longer wait for it to be "ready," whatever that means. Serve hot with cheese and onions, if ya got 'em. I live in the Midwest, so you'd better believe I keep shredded sharp cheddar on hand.



Do not serve with oyster crackers because you are foolishly on a low-carb diet.

For those of you gagging about the bacon thing - it actually added a surprisingly mellow smoky element to the chili. It was honestly really good! Who knew?!



Doc, who these days is constantly peeved by my cooking (i.e. not paying attention to his furry little face), waited around for something to drop - not out of love for me, but rather for food in general. Do you see how annoyed he looks? One bite of my chili would have wiped that scowl away. He got a savory garlic treat instead, because I am a huge sucker.

And, as it turns out, kind of clever in the kitchen.