Recipe: The Best Breakfast Ever
Thursday, July 12, 2007
This is for Duk. (My advance apologies to the vegetarian readers) I'm not much of a cook, but DAMN if these little babies aren't easy to make, and very tasty. I adapted the recipe from one that I found online - I'd link to it, but I can't find it anymore. To hell with Fried Cheese Curds...THESE should be the official appetizer of the Midwest.

Without further adieu, I present to you: Sausage & Cream Cheese Poppers.

Ingredients:

1 roll spicy sausage (I use Tennessee's Best)
1 package fully-fatted cream cheese (8 oz.)
2 canisters of crescent roll dough (I like Pillsbury's Big-n-Buttery)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to whatever temperature is needed for the crescent rolls.

2. Brown sausage, drain.

3. Mix drained sausage with cream cheese.

4. Scoop large spoon's worth of sausage/cheese mixture onto flattened, triangular crescent roll piece.

5. Fold crescent roll up around sausage mixture, making sure that all holes in the pastry dough are closed. 1 scoop of mixture for each crescent roll (IMO, this is the best dough to sausage ratio)

6. Add ventilation holes in the top of each - I just stab each one with a fork

7. Put on ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for whatever time is stated on crescent roll directions.

8. Wait anxiously at oven door while unbelievably good smells fill your kitchen.

9. When crescent roll tops look golden to golden brown, remove. Allow to cool for as long as you can stand to wait.

10. Enjoy!