A Hairy Situation
Monday, September 10, 2007
P recently commented on this site, asking "yo, whattup?" in regards to my hair. I have blogged extensively about my hair - not in a narcissistic way, but rather in a sense that it is my personal hallmark. Well, that and my very wide nose. It is the first thing people notice about me, and usually one of the only things (aside from my generally mouthy personality) they remember. This has everything to do with me being incredibly finicky about how my hair looks, and also its color.

Ms. P and I have known each other for about 10 years now, and she has witnessed my hair in a virtual array of lengths, sizes, colors, etc. Recently, she chopped all of her fantastic, always shiny (bitch!) hair off into this fantastic pixie cut that ONLY someone with her cheekbones and petite stature could pull off.

Her question is timely, really, because I recently made an appointment to have my hair cut later this week. I haven't trimmed it since right after the big choppity-chop of Fall 2006, and MAN is it ever shaggy. I don't typically cut my hair unless it's bothering me, and I reached my breaking point late last week. It took a week of desperate, mid-morning ponytails to convince me, but it is definitely time.

I am also spending an ungodly sum of money to have my hair cut PROPERLY. No more Little Miss "I'll just pick the first salon that I see on Citysearch." I'm going to a stylist that regularly flies to NYC and LA to cut celebrity manes - someone who comes so highly recommended to me, that I was afraid I might not be cool enough to schedule an appointment at all. The way I see it, I haven't gotten a haircut in 10 months - I should probably get a good one, and STAT.

The game plan, as it stands right now, is to continue growing my hair out until it's roughly even with my collarbone. Also on the menu: swing bangs for fall. I think my new glasses (and my incredibly disproportionate forehead) would do well with a fresh set of bangs.

Because, really, why not? It's hair. It grows back.